Wednesday, 24 May 2017

Childcare Expo Manchester 2017




Are you going to the Childcare Expo at Event City in Manchester this year? The dates are Friday 16th and Saturday 17th June.

We try to go every year – we used to travel down to Coventry and we were delighted when it was announced that the Expo was returning to Manchester!

We go to meet colleagues and catch up with the latest gossip and we go to find the most up-to-date information and advice from early years suppliers. We always get lots of inspiration from talking to the stallholders and looking through the displays – it is easy to feel isolated in our job as childminders and Expo gives us an ideal opportunity to share practice with colleagues and experts in the field.

I have been looking at the seminars this year and trying to decide which to attend. I will be going on the Saturday because on Friday I am working in a local Nursery with my consultant hat on. Typically, the Friday seminars look good this year – I love the work of Alistair Bryce-Clegg (I was lucky enough to hear him speak last year and I signpost his TedTalk during training) and I would like to know more about the 30 hours from Childcare Works but I can’t make it … so I looked through the Saturday seminars instead!

I think the ‘workforce challenges’ presentation by PLA looks good but is probably more for group providers; the ‘observation tool kit’ from Di Chilvers sounds interesting… hmmm I think you will find me there and it will finish nicely for lunch too! There are more seminars in the afternoon – maths, mental health and wellbeing outside and achieving ‘outstanding’ which I sadly won’t be able to attend because I have to leave straight after lunch but I am sure colleagues will support them.

I have been looking at the exhibitors this year and trying to decide who to see first – Community Playthings is always a favourite – I wonder if they are giving away any freebies this year?! Creative Steps of course to check out the magazines… I got some lovely displays from Outside Classroom Boards last year… Yorkshire Purchasing now offer deals for childminders so I’ll be on their stand… there will be so much to see I’ll have to set an alarm on my phone to remember the seminar!

I will be incognito this year… I have booked under my married name … it will be lovely to meet up with colleagues and have a chat … look out for me! I’ll be the one peering at badges hunting for childminders!

Chat soon, Sarah x