Information for parents about taking and using photographs
In view of recent allegations of abuse surrounding the taking and illegal use of photographs of children, childminders are advised to clarify how they use and store photographs of children with parents.
We use photographs of children in the following ways –
• To display around the house, which gives the child a sense of belonging;
• To share with the child’s parents so you can see what they are up to here;
• To go in the child’s Learning Journey or scrap book folder which parents will take home when the child leaves Knutsford Childminding;
• As presents for parents eg photo albums, photos in frames etc;
• To go in albums to show parents and Ofsted the range of activities we do at Knutsford Childminding.
Our safeguarding commitments to parents regarding photographs –
• All photographs remain the property of the child’s parents;
• Photographs will not be used on the internet or taken on a mobile phone;
• If required in the future, we will register with the Information Commissioners Office. You can find more information here – www.ico.gov.uk;
• Any photographs not returned to parents when their child leaves (that may be in albums, photo frames or part of laminated displays) will be destroyed on request;
• We will not use photographs of your child for any reason other than above without your prior written permission.
Sometimes, there might be more than one child in a photograph or children from different families. This might happen when, for example, children request we take group scenes or when photographs are taken during group activities.
Sometimes group photographs might be placed in different children’s folders and / or used in the ways stated above.
If you are concerned about your child appearing in group photographs, your child’s face or any identifying features will be blurred on the photos in which s/he accidentally appears. You need to let us know if you want this to happen.
If you have any questions or concerns about the taking of photographs, please have a chat with one of us.